Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Healthy Banana Bran Muffins

My oldest loves banana muffins. We have a tried and true recipe that we all love but frankly, it's not that healthy so I wanted to branch out and try some something new.

Something at least that sounded healthier.

I loved bran muffins growing up. I can't really remember why but they have always reminded me of home and being delicious. And I confess, I have never made them as an adult.

So I decided to rectify the situation and see if these would pass my oldest son's scrutiny and my memory of those amazing things from my youth.

We all really loved these muffins. Especially warm out of the oven with butter. The texture was great and they were moist with a wonderful banana flavor. Plus now we have a new banana muffin on our repertoire. Sweet!

Healthy Banana Bran Muffins

(click here for printable version)

2 tbsp butter, softened
1/3 cup applesauce
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups bran flakes
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with paper cups. Set aside.

2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, applesauce and sugar. Add the eggs, bananas and buttermilk and mix well. Add flour, baking soda, salt, bran flakes and chocolate chips. Mix just until no dry streaks remain, batter will be lumpy.

3. Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes or remove to a wire rack to cool completely. These muffins freeze great in a air tight sealed ziploc bag. Enjoy!

Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Blogging tips